Here is my cinnamon roll recipe. After reading this quickie post the other day, a number of you it seems were in fact jealous. I use my dinner roll recipe for the base, with maybe a tad more sugar added. You could probably use any sweet bread recipe you wanted and it would turn out just fine. This version takes time (I started mine the night before) Here’s the recipe:
Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, stir yeast, 1/4 cup warm water, and a tablespoon of sugar.
- In another bowl, beat eggs in 1 cup warm water; add oil and salt. Mix egg mixture into yeast, and add sugar. Gradually add flour.
- Knead for a few minutes until the dough is smooth, then cover with a damp cloth, and allow to stand at room temperature for 1 hour, then place in the refrigerator and allow to rise overnight. It should rise to twice its size.
- In the morning, divide into two parts, roll out into a rectagleish shape then spread liberally with the butter cinnamon brown sugar mixture. (this can also be altered to your taste, add more or less cinnamon or even add a pinch of nutmeg if you like)
- Roll up the regtangles, pinch the seam, using a little water to help it stick together.
- Cut the roll with a sharp knife, or, if you want them to be super perfect I’ve heard you can use dental floss to cut them too. I don’t really care one way or another so I just use a knife.
- Put on a baking sheet, cover, and allow to rise for about an hour.
- Bake at 375 for about 20-25 minutes.
- To make frosting; combine confectioner’s sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Add milk gradually until frosting reaches a spreading consistency. Spread over warm (but not hot) cinnamon rolls.
Hope you enjoy them!! Yngve came home and ate like 5 of them!