Thought I’ve give yall a tasty side dish recipe here I made up from a mixture of several different recipes. – it turned out nice, so here it is in all its yumminess and semi-recipeness… I dont generally eat my veggies with cheese, but I was getting really sick of just eating plain ones. This turned out pretty nice- I dont even like cauliflower all that much but this was good- try it and let me know what you think. I really need to get better at figuring out exact measurements of what I make so I can better post the recipe, but here it is, to the best of my ability.
Broccoli and Cauliflower Bake:
- 1 small head broccoli cut into floret’s
- 1 small head cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups of milk
- 2 1/2 cups of shredded cheese – 1 cup reserved(preferably sharp cheddar or some other nice strong cheese- I like a nice mature english cheddar, anything with a good flavor will work, really)
- 1 teaspoon english mustard (or any strong grainy mustard)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Cayenne or Paprika to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- handful of breadcrumbs
- Blanche 1 small head of broccoli and 1 small head of Cauliflower (ie: put it into a boiling pot of water for maybe 2 minutes or so, take it out, and throw it into a bowl of ice water to keep it from overcooking.) If you dont mind your broccoli and cauliflower cooked really soft, go ahead and just stick it in a pot and boil it for about 10 minutes. Personally, I dont like mine super mushy, so I blanche it first because its gonna be in the oven for another 30 minutes or so)
- In a pan, melt your butter on mediumish heat. Sprinkle in the flour and wisk until its all combined. Let it cook, stirring constantly with the whisk for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mustard to the roux (flour and butter mixture)
- Slowly add in the milk- stirring constantly while you add it in. Now, here is where some people get impatient. It might look too “thin” at this point- let it thicken. If its not thickening up fast enough for you, turn the heat up some. Either way, you have to be patient and let it thicken up a little bit. Keep an eye on it, and stir frequently with the whisk.
- When its thickened up a bit (a nice thick consistency where it isnt runny or watery, but its not like paste either) stir in salt and pepper to taste, your paprika or cayenne and the garlic powder.
- Stir in the 1 1/2 cups of cheese.
- Put the broccoli and Cauliflower into a baking dish
- Evenly pour the cheese mixture over the broccoli and cauliflower
- Sprinkle the 1 cup of reserved cheese over the top of the veggies along with a handful or so of dried breadcrumbs
- Cover with foil, and bake at 425 degrees F for about 20 minutes, then remove the foil and let it bake for another 10.
Voila! Its done! I’m certain you can use other kinds of vegetables- squash and zucchini especially would be good done this way- though if I were making it with squash and zucchini, I dont think I’d cook those first, I’d just let them bake in the oven. If you wanted a quick meal, perhaps you could cook up some cubed seasoned chicken breast pieces and mix those with it- or even combine it with a penne pasta, using a slightly different kind of cheese- maybe some provolone, mozzarella and romano? Hmm… I think I have an idea for dinner later this week! :P
Anyway, hope you enjoy!